Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Steamed Fish

I've really loved fish ever since my gastric bypass surgery. I crave fish. I eat fish so often, frankly I'm surprised I haven't grown fins! Tonight at support group we were talking about fish and I talked about my little microwave steamer. I bought it at World Market and it was only $5.00! I've actually got two and the second one was on sale for $3.00. Bob even told me tonight that I should really go back and get a couple more just to make sure I always have one clean and ready since I use it so often! LOL! But I think he might be right...LOL! I love fish just about any way I can get it, but I especially love it steamed. No oil or anything else to interfere with the good fish taste.

Steamed Fish

1 filet (I use frozen tilapia or cod...if you use fresh you'll need to adjust your cooking times)
frozen vegetables (I like mixed green beans or garden mixes)
frozen sweet peppers, sliced
seasoning of choice (I like all different seasoning mixes...Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime, Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, Italian Salad Dressing dry mix are a few of my favorites)
salt

With a little water in the bottom of the steamer, place the basket on top. Place the fish and veggies then sprinkle everything with seasoning to taste. Cooking time really depends on your microwave and thickness of your fish. My frozen tilapia normally takes about 6 minutes and frozen cod normally takes about 7 minutes. Let the food rest in the steamer for about a minute before serving. Serve with a small side salad and you've got a great meal!

No comments: