Thursday, May 26, 2011

Steamed Broccoli

Okay, now don't just quickly scroll over this recipe! Caught you just in time, didn't I? I, too, have always thought broccoli was totally disgusting. Didn't even like the smell, especially if it was steamed. Then I had it roasted. Whoo boy! That stuff was good! Then I started thinking about how to steam broccoli so that I would like it. I mean, it's just so darned good for you, it's a shame so many of us don't like it. I bought a bag of fresh, cut up broccoli at the grocery store a week or so ago meaning to roast some. Just never got around to it...you know how that goes. I decided to try steamed broccoli with my chicken for lunch. D.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s! Here's what I did.

Steamed Broccoli

2 ounces fresh broccoli florets
salt, to taste
Tony Chachere's, to taste

Take out your handy dandy microwave steamer (or whatever kind you have) and put a little water in the bottom. Place broccoli in the steamer basket. Sprinkle a little salt and some Tony Chachere's, put the lid on and pop into the microwave for about 3 minutes. Less time if you like yours al dente. I'm from the South; we cook our veggies to death! "If it ain't hangin' limp from the fork, it ain't cooked 'nouf!" My broccoli was not hanging limp, but wasn't al dente either! Try different seasonings until you find one you love on steamed broccoli. Have fun! Play with your food!!!

No comments: