Monday, September 13, 2010

Purple Cow

Did you just say, "WHAT?" Let me explain! When I was a kid in Lake Charles, LA there was a small burger stand a few blocks from our house. Oh my gosh...they had the absolute best burgers in the entire world. Maybe that's why I couldn't get enough hamburgers pre-wls; I was trying to satisfy my burger hunger with the wrong burgers! Nah - I was just greedy! LOL! And they had a shake called the Purple Cow. They just mixed a vanilla shake with some grape soda. This was loooooong before Sonic thought about doing the same thing too. So when I started making my protein shakes, I thought about the Purple Cow. I made it with Wyler's grape kool-aid (in a single serving tube) and it was a beautiful shade of purple! Tasted yummy too. Well, I haven't been able to find the Wyler's for a while, but Kroger brand makes a grape so I use that. Sadly it's not purple. :( It just looks like a plain old vanilla shake. But it has that same crazy Purple Cow flavor!

Purple Cow

1 1/2 - 2 cups ice
1 tablespoon sugar free vanilla pudding mix
2 drops vanilla extract
1 tube sugar free grape kool-aid mix
1 scoop vanilla protein mix
4-6 ounces Almond Breeze almond milk (or any milk you like)
sweetener to taste (optional)

Place ice in blender. Add the rest of the ingredients, ending with the milk. Set blender to crush ice, then blend on lowest speed and building up to highest speed until shake is thick and frothy.

No comments: