Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pressure Cooker Tip

I have a glass top electric range. I didn't use my pressure cooker very much for quite a few years because keeping the cooker at a regulated temperature can be difficult on an electric range. You put the burner on high temperature to get it pressurized then you turn down the burner to keep it "just pressurized". Right. Not so easy on an electric range. My first electric range was the coil type and you can turn on a burner to the proper temperature and just leave it there and transfer the cooker once it's pressurized. Not so on a glass top. You can't have a burner on without a pot on it. I can't believe I was stumped for so long! One day I just looked at my range and realized what I needed to do!

1. While you're getting your cooker ready on burner #1, put a pot of water on the burner that you will move the cooker to that will keep it pressurized (burner #2). Put burner #2 on the required heat to keep the cooker pressurized. On my range, it's part way between medium and medium-low.
2. Once you have everything you need in your cooker, cover, lock the lid, and turn that burner (burner #1) on high.
3. When the cooker is pressurized (I have a yellow button that pops up on mine when it's pressurized), move the pot of water off of burner #2 and transfer the cooker from burner #1 to burner #2.
4. Follow your recipe directions for timing and de-pressurizing.

Now...finally...we can enjoy our pressure cookers on glass top ranges!!!

Burner #2 on left and Burner #1 on right

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder whether the energy savings inherent in pressure cooking will be negatively offset by using two burners?

Ramona said...

I think the energy savings are still valid. The second burner is only on for a few minutes while the cooker is coming up to pressure. Truthfully, energy savings are not my primary concern with the pressure cooker. MY energy conservation is my primary concern and the pressure cooker certainly helps that! LOL!