Friday, September 10, 2010

Ground Beef in Tomato Gravy


If I was a fancy cook I would, I'm sure, have a fancy name for this dish. But I'm not fancy and this recipe was handed down to me from my Mom (who was, of course, the best cook in the world). But actually, the name fits the dish. It's simple and tasty. We only have beef about once a week and this is one of our favorites.

Ground Beef in Tomato Gravy

1 1/2 pounds 97% lean ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup sliced frozen peppers (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans tomato sauce
2 tomato sauce cans water

Brown ground beef in a deep skillet. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add onions and peppers and finish browning. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil. Season with more salt, pepper and garlic powder. Lower heat and simmer until done.

No comments: