Friday, September 10, 2010

Waldorf Salad With a Twist


My daughter, Janet went to Pennsylvania for a few days this week. When I picked her up at the airport we decided we were hungry so we stopped at Ruby Tuesdays right outside of Charlotte. We both had soup and salad (my white bean chicken chili is better than their's and mine comes from a packet!). But what I really wanted to talk about was their Waldorf Salad. Wow! It was really good! I've had problems eating apples since my gastric bypass, but didn't have any trouble with this dish. Maybe a combination of the apples being chopped and also in a sauce so they were moist. I've never made a Waldorf Salad, so I looked on the Betty Crocker website. I mean, really, you know Betty Crocker knows how to make it! I had to change it...you already knew that! LOL! Here's the link to Betty's original recipe.


Waldorf Salad With a Twist

1/4 cup Kraft Light Miracle Whip
1/4 cup Dannon Plain Low Fat Yogurt (or non fat)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Almond Breeze almond milk
1 Granny Smith apple, coarsely chopped
1 Gala apple, coarsely chopped
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 small box Sun-Maid dried cranberries

Mix mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and milk in a medium bowl. Stir in the apples, celery, nuts and cranberries. Serve over salad greens if you like. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.

Note: This recipe does not make a lot of sauce. If you like more sauce than "barely covered" just double the mayo, yogurt, milk and lemon juice.

These are the dried cranberries I use.

1 comment:

Bob said...

looks great. Tate even better