Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ice Cream

I love ice cream! I don't care if it's winter and freezing outside...it's warm in my house and I love to eat ice cream! After weight loss surgery, we can get sick from eating sugary foods. And I don't know about you, but anything even remotely sugary sweet just gags me now. Even sugar free ice cream from the store is not the best thing for you. It's got a lot of sugar alcohols. So I don't get it often. But when I can make low fat, high protein ice cream at home in less than half an hour I can eat it any time I want to!

To make ice cream you need an ice cream maker. I use the kind that you freeze the bowl. I just keep mine in my deep freezer (in a large freezer ziplock bag). Then when I want to make ice cream, I just pull it out and get it going.

The next step is to make a protein shake. Whatever flavor you want. Plain or fancy. Just make it thick and frothy. When it's done, start the ice cream maker and slowly pour in the shake through the top of the ice cream maker. Set a timer for 20 minutes (If you have the same ice cream maker as I do. If you don't, follow your manufacturer's directions.) and go find something to do until your ice cream is ready! Here's a tip: my ice cream maker has a hole in the top so I put a small piece of aluminum foil over it to keep the cold in.

When your ice cream is done, spoon it out into a large bowl. At this point, fold in any mix-ins that you have. For instance, if you want to make Rocky Road, get a small sugar free chocolate bar, partially freeze it, chop it up, and fold it in to your ice cream. I've even made Moose Tracks ice cream this way! Just think about what kind of ice cream you want and figure out the mix-ins you need! Easy peasy! I like mine as soft serve so we eat ours now. If you like it more like store-bought, you can pack it into a smaller container and freeze for half an hour or more. Now there's only one more thing to do...EAT YOUR ICE CREAM!!! Just remember that this is a protein shake. It will be filling, so it's not a dessert to be eaten right after dinner! Don't even bother asking me how I know this. LOL!

No comments: