Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pan Fried Tilapia

Lunch at my house is usually either fish (tilapia or tuna) or chicken tenderloins. And they're usually pan fried. Pan fried doesn't mean you have to cook with a lot of oil, even in a stainless steel skillet. Best tip of the week: Watch the free pan frying video lesson on Rouxbe Cooking School online. (I've been pan frying for years and learned a lot.) When you're done watching the video...pan fry some fish!






Pan Fried Tilapia

1 tilapia fillet (or another similar fish)
cooking oil
salt and pepper, to taste
Italian salad dressing dry mix (available at most supermarkets)

If your fish is frozen, defrost. Pat dry and sprinkle salt, pepper, and salad dressing mix. Pat seasonings into fish. Do this on both sides.

As explained in the video, heat your pan until hot enough to add oil. Heat oil until hot enough to add fish. Pan fry for a few minutes on each side until fish is cooked through and flaky. Since I'm cooking in oil, I like to place the fish on a paper towel to blot off the oil before serving.

2 comments:

Lou Baxley said...

I pan fry tilapia as well but instead of the salad dressing mix (which I intend to try), I use parmesan cheese. Yummy!

Ramona said...

Thanks for the suggestion Lou...that sounds wonderful! Definitely gonna try that really soon!