Friday, October 22, 2010

Pan Fried Shrimp

I know a lot of people can't eat shrimp after gastric bypass. Thankfully, I'm not one of them! But if you are, and I'm really sorry about that, feel free to skip reading this recipe. I like shrimp any way I can get it...boiled, broiled, sauteed, pan fried...hmmm I'm starting to sound like Bubba. LOL! Oh well! Today for lunch I wanted a nice salad. Then I decided to put some roasted veggies in it. Mmmm, starting to sound really good! Then I thought of the shrimp silently waiting for me in the freezer. That was it! That's just exactly what my salad needed. So I put some shrimp (I use cleaned, raw, tail-on shrimp) to defrost in a cup of water while I got my veggies ready and into the oven. On to my lovely shrimp!


Pan Fried Shrimp

fresh or defrosted shrimp (leave the tail on for now)
1-1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
salt and pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Pat the shrimp dry and place on a paper towel to season. (Why dirty a cutting board for 5 or 6 shrimp huh?) Sprinkle a little salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides. Live a little and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese too! Heat the oil (medium heat) in a skillet until it is hot enough to add the shrimp. Add the shrimp and pan fry for about two minutes. Turn the shrimp and cook another two minutes. Remove from heat and place on a sheet of aluminum foil, folded in half (another dish saver!) and let the shrimp rest for 2-3 minutes.

At this point, if you're going to eat them as is, keep the tails on and you have a nice little handle. If you're adding it to a salad like I did today, pull the tails off, cut the shrimp if you like and place in the salad.

Now there's just one more thing to do...EAT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use this technique myself - usually serve with rice pasta as I am gluten free. The only real difference is that I use olive oil. This is a healthy, low calorie supper - goes well with wilted spinach salad (greens, red onions, a couple sliced almonds). Hmmm...maybe I'll make that tomorrow :)